Saturday, April 10, 2004

Do you and your significant other have a special song?

This FLASH QUIZ generated a whopping 76 responses.

Respondents include the usual roundup of old and new friends, classmates, family members, and coworkers. The male/female ratio was statistically equal.

Geographically, the responses were overwhelmingly from residents of the US Northeast and Midwest - 38% each. The West Coast accounted for 13%, the South 7%, and the remaining 4% coming from overseas.

The respondents can be broken down into 4 categories: 1) Those with a Significant Other and a Song (SOS); 2) Those with a Significant Other but No Song (SONS); 3) Those who have No Significant Other and Are Bitter About It (NSOABAI); and 4) Those who were Confused by the Question (CQ).

My favorite responses came from the CQs. Two admitted they didn't understand the question. "I don't get this" and "I don't get it" they wrote. Another CQ respondent wrote "Is this for real? You're not going to the gym yet?" To their credit, all of the CQs had not participated in a FLASH QUIZ before. We'll see if they do again.

True to the nature of having a song unique to a couple, most of the SOSes listed a song that no other FLASH QUIZZER named. The one exception being "At Last" by Etta James, which 4 respondents listed as their song. Being a gorgeous song that's easy to dance to at weddings, I can't say I blame them.

Other SOSes listed loving songs like "Our Song" by Elton John, "Crazy" by Patsy Cline, "Love Will Keep Us Together" by the Captain and Tenille, "Long Time Coming" by Tragically Hip, "Cha Cha Cha d'Amour" by Dean Martin, and "You're The First, The Last, My Everything" by Barry White.

One up to date female respondent wrote that she and her husband pick a new song every year. Some responded with less than romantic titles such as "How Much is That Doggy in the Window" as sung by Rosemary Clooney and the theme to "Bananas in Pajamas". I don't want to think much about what goes on in those households - it might even be illegal in Texas.

One respondent couldn't remember the name of the song she shares with her boyfriend, identifying it only as "That 'butterfly' song that was on FNX for a while a couple of years ago." Sounds like a keeper! One romantic respondent admitted to having not just a song, but an entire film score. Although she didn't indicate which film score. Casablanca = romantic; Thelma and Louise = not quite. Speaking of the not quite so romantic, one SOSer listed "You Made Me Love You", indicating that he got his man "kicking and screaming until he was too exhausted and gave up."

Among the SONSes, a variety of reasons were given for not having a song. One wrote "I think those people who do are duds." Another said "what are we 12?" A married respondent wrote "NOPE. That's a bummer that we don't!" and from a respondent in a seemingly progressive relationship "If we do, the songs are not the same." Why limit a special song shared by two people to just one song that you both like? In fact that theme appeared frequently. From one respondent came "no but he does" and another stated "No, but there are definitely remember when songs".

The NSOABAIs gave the most creative responses. "He's Got the Whole World in His Hand" and "Separate Lives" by Phil Collins are my two favorites. The latter respondent went on to write "or any song where 'f*$@ you' is the message." She puts the B in NSOABAI! Likewise another writes "Me, myself, and I have a song …it contains the lines: '...I've learned a lot since you've been gone...'". Some cited their cats ("my cat doesn't seem too partial to music") and their toys ("Booboo is the only thing I've been sleeping with lately"). Which is sweet, in that "I'm crazy" sort of way.

Many of the NSOABAIs accused the question of being insensitive. One wrote "It's awfully soon after Valentine's Day to be making people think about significant others or lack thereof. My case is the latter. Pshaw!" and another "Just another cruel, cruel reminder that my significant other is imaginary, and yes, our song is 'Making Love Out of Nothing at All'". But hey, if the man of your dreams is only in your dreams then maybe when you're … sorry, I got lost.

The final word goes to a respondent I wasn't sure how to categorize. She writes "...where is my wife and family? What if I die here? Who'll be my role model, now that my role model is gone, gone, ducked back down the alley with some roly-poly little bat-faced girl..." Sadly, I just don't know.

© 2005

No comments:

Post a Comment

Are your neighbors giving you sideways glances?