Monday, July 04, 2005

I Shop, Therefore I Am

It's a holiday weekend and what could be more patriotic than a trip to the mall? It's been very easy to sink back into the swing of things here. Particularly when it involves 25% off at Express Men and a 65% Customer Appreciation Sale at Macy's. We are now set for our day jobs. Four new shirts, a belt, and a pair of pants for me; Douglas bought one shirt, three pairs of pants, and two belts. Plus white handkerchiefs, three neck ties, socks, and flip-flops (in case we make it to the beach).

It's almost sickening how giddy this made me. It's been over a year since I bought a proper dress shirt. There's something about the trust between customer and salesman involved in this process that I find very soothing. Muhammed, the salesman, eyed our necks and judged our shoulders. Pulling the tape measure from his pocket he muttered his guess. "Yes," he said, "you're a 161/2." Then he eyed Douglas, "not you" and wrapping the measure around Douglas's neck he smiled knowingly. "151/2. Try the medium." He measured our arms and then made some recommendations. It was fun. I'm not convinced he approved of our tie selections - maybe we're too hip, or too outdated.

The day was happily topped off with a cinnabon. I bought the last one as they were kicking us out of the mall.

© 2005

No comments:

Post a Comment

Are your neighbors giving you sideways glances?