Thursday, December 01, 2005

Oh My Chickens!

I just paid 10€ for a bottle of saline solution. I will henceforth only wear my contacts on truly necessary days. And once they're in, they'll stay in.

Availability of saline solution, like toilet seats, are a symptom of civilization. Both are frustratingly rare in France. Why? I have no idea. Toilets here frequently have the little holes where a seat should be screwed in. Why there isn't a seat is beyond me.

Likewise, saline solution is not a mix of complex ingredients. Primarily salt and water. It's available in the same bottles and packaging as in the US, just at 5-6 times the price. The 10€ bottle I just bought was hard to find too. None at the supermarket. I asked at a pharmacy this afternoon and got zip. Then I stumbled into a beauty products store staffed by overly made women in perma-hold hairstyles. They didn't understand what I was looking for. First one of the helmet haired team members brought me a box full of some sort of salted injection bottles. I think the intended use is to "erase" unsightly wrinkles around the eyes. It's presentation to me actually gave me a few more and some grey hairs too. Finally, the team captain suggested I visit the optician up the street.

Which I did. Which is where I discovered the 10€ bottle of Alcon Opti-Free Express®. The saleswoman told me it was a special promotion. I wonder what the regular price is.

So, where are the toilet seats? and why is salt water so expensive?

I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Are your neighbors giving you sideways glances?