Sunday, February 10, 2008

Today on the L Train

I found myself taking an unplanned trip into the office on a Sunday. It’s interesting to see the train when it’s not crowded with rush hour commuters and late night drinkers. More than a handful of Orthodox Jewish women, heads shaved and wigged, in smart shoes and accompanied by their progeny. Their blatino counterparts pushing SUV sized strollers. A few women coming home from church in their crowns.

At one stop I was able to maneuver into a seat situated next to a sharply dressed woman - houndstooth wool coat, black tights, low heels, conservative makeup. She sat upright with a gymnast’s posture. Two minutes into our neighborhood, she extended her left arm straight out, made a fist, pointed her index finger back at herself and brought it to her nose, then extended her arm again, then brought it back to her nose, and extended, nose, extended, nose. She did this about 6 times.

I’ve noticed over the last month that I stare. Sometimes I point, but today I was travelling alone. I turned my head and looked right at her face and arm. Shoulder to shoulder, we were about 6 inches apart. She ignored me.

Arriving at my stop, I exited and walked to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Are your neighbors giving you sideways glances?