Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Coretta Scott King

I missed coverage of her funeral, but did enjoy reading this review of it in an email from my sister in California.

Very good speeches at Ms. King's memorial today... I don't know what order the speakers actually took, but our local news showed W first. The choir members were talking while he was speaking. He seemed pleased with his (ie. his speech writer's) words as if to say, "Follow that!"

Then Jimmy Carter spoke. And when he said, we only had to "look at the color of the victims' faces from Louisiana, ..." the choir woman behind him mouthed the word, "Wow."

Then Bill spoke with Hilary at his side.

Then Maya Angelo and she was out of this world. No text will do. You have to hear her. And see W looking uncomfortable in his seat behind her.

While looking for video links - I haven't found any yet - I discovered this quote from Dr. King describing his wife:

"I am convinced that if I had not had a wife with the fortitude, strength and calmness of Coretta, I could not have stood up amid the ordeals and tensions surrounding the Montgomery movement."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Are your neighbors giving you sideways glances?