Thursday, August 26, 2010

Today on the L Train

This morning on my way to the train I sneezed.  I didn't have a handkerchief or napkin on me and so was wary of the universe of germs caught in the palm of my hand.  The train is, as a rule, a germ ridden adventure. The first thing I do when I get to work after touching the turnstiles, the bar for balance, the doors and elevator buttons at the office is to to head to the bathroom to wash my hands.

Today on the train was a woman furtively preaching her good word.  She was well dressed, tall, and loud.  She looked like she was heading to her day as a paralegal or social worker.  Her pitch and message was more polished, less crazed, less damning than the typical subway evangelist.  She was a professional.  I imagine she must have had some formal experience as a preacher.  Maybe she'd been ousted from her storefront church and had taken to the subway because she just couldn't hold it in.  

Normally when someone decides to insert themselves into the quiet between my ears in the mornings I try to block them out.  Normally when the intruder is preaching his/her version of biblical edicts the train takes on an embarrassed silence.  Today was no exception.  

When she was finished (at Penn Station/34th Street) she walked around the car and gave everyone a handshake.  She thanked us for coming to her temple.  Cautious of the sneeze I held in my hand, I held tightly to the pole when she approached me.  I smiled and she moved on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Are your neighbors giving you sideways glances?